Monday, August 20, 2007

Sunday at Poole Week

A few of us went over to Poole on Sunday to put in a bit of a Moth showing for the start of Poole week. We had Si Payne, Rod Harris, Mike Cooke, James Roche, Gary Ireson, and myself. Unfortunately launching amongst such a big fleet in breezy conditions took longer than expected, and only Simon and I actually made the start. We lead the fast handicap fleet round the top mark, but had no idea where the next mark was! So we were doing 18/20knots across the top reach, and I'm trying to find the mark on the laminated course card. Once we'd found it I held the card in my teeth for a while but soon gave up on that when it just bend up and covered my eyes! So I wedged it down my rash vest until it had to come out again to find the next mark! Eventually we figured out the course, but I did have to walk the boat off one sandbank, having landed gently onto it mid tack. Simon waited for me though, and we kept the racing close between us for a few laps. Doing 20 knots through the moorings and X boat fleet seperated by only a few boat lengths was probably quite a sight, with some impressive syncronised gybes!

23.3 Knots was my top speed of the day. (I've done a new little gps mount, so I can now easily see it from both tacks which is nicer!)

Should be some video soon.....

No comments: